This sewing 101 class is for kids!
In this beginner sewing class, they'll learn to use a sewing machine, basic stitches, and fundamental sewing techniques and finishes used in modern sewing and garment construction. They'll be walked through each technique step by step, as a small group, then go back to their stations and try them themselves!
As they work through the techniques, they'll create a sample binder full of seam and technique samples to take with them with everything they've learned in it. That way, they can refer back to it when you’re working on a project and forget exactly what the difference between an "edge stitch" and "top stitch" is. 😵
Plus! Each week they'll sew up a little project using their new skills! It's so fun to take something home you've just made yourself to show friends and family. 😊
Class meets once a week on Saturdays from 2pm to 5pm for 6 weeks.
Class starts April 27th and ends June 1st
This class covers:
- Setting up and using a sewing machine
- The fundamental stitches and what they're used for
- Ways to finish seams and edges (hems)
- What interfacing is and what it's for
- How to sew fasteners (e.g. zippers, buttons, snaps)
- The basics of serging
- Reading and using a sewing pattern
- And lots more (darts, pleats, gathering.. there's so much!)
Our classes are limited in size (and frequently sell out!). Each person has a station with a sewing machine reserved for them, so no refunds are offered on classes. If a kid misses a class, video tutorials will be provided they can work through at home.